Thursday, June 12, 2014

In Memory of Ruby Dee

Why do they all have to go?

We'll miss you, Ruby Dee. You were one of the greats. I hope you're reunited with Ossie Davis in a world where everything you've fought for has borne fruit.

I want to take this moment to encourage everyone to see Purlie Victorious. I don't know how available it is, but I found it at my library, so it can't be that bad. A filmed version of Ossie Davis's play, and starring Davis, Dee, and Beah Richards (not to mention Alan Alda), it's a fascinating, hilarious exploration of stock black character types, a brilliant deconstruction of the performative natures of stereotypes like the Southern Baptist preacher and the shuffling servant. And Ruby Dee gets to exhibit her pitch perfect comic timing throughout. If it isn't enough to make you appreciate one of the most important couples of twentieth century art, I don't know what would do it.

Thank you, Ruby Dee. You've done so much for us, and we never did enough for you.

No comments: